I’ve been watching the Facebook feed of one of my friends who declared November to be ‘Noguiltvember’ – an international month of amnesty to admit to all those truly tragic songs that you secretly love.
These are the songs that you sing in the shower when you think no one can hear you. They’re also the songs that have a high hit rate for karaoke-goers because everyone knows that karaoke works best when you’re belting out daggy 80s power ballads. The more akin you sound to a wailing cat, the better, since karaoke has nothing to do with good singing and everything to do with childhood sentiment and lots and lots of alcohol.
There’s been some cracking nominations for shameful, secret song-crushes this month:
– Songs by the Glee cast
– Songs by Gwyneth Paltrow
– Songs by New Kids on the Block (I have to admit, that one was me)
– Songs by Miami Sound Machine
And, my personal favourite nomination, Everlasting Love by Rex Smith and Rachel Sweet:
But why should we limit this to only one month? Why not Noguiltever, instead of Noguiltvember! And why only music? I’m breaking the shackles of convention and declaring:
- I know all the words to ‘Part Of Your World’ from The Little Mermaid. And you can tell if I’ve had a few too many drinks because that’s my go-to song as I unsteadily make my way home.
- I think the Lord of the Rings movies were better than the books. There I said it. They basically cut out all of Tolkein’s self-indulgent, waffly descriptive paragraphs that went on for ever and ever (and ever) and got straight to the good bits.
- Duets was a good movie.
- I liked Grease 2. I cannot believe I’m admitting this publicly but ‘Cool Rider’ is a brilliant song. [resisting urge to delete…]
- I’m a creature of habit, mostly because I get nervous doing something new – even if it’s something as basic as walking a different way to work. This is patently ridiculous and part of the reason why I moved to the UK – to really do something different! But, even after the big bad city, I was still nervous today when I walked into a street market I’ve never been before (and being pleasantly surprised).
- Clubbing: it’s overrated.
- I know Captain Kirk is supposed to be the ultimate Star Trek captain but, frankly, I think Janeway nailed it.
- Men are sometimes right. The Guy is more often right than wrong, damnit. So annoying.
- I read the Daily Mail (a UK conservative tabloid newspaper – I know I should read something appropriately left(ier) like The Guardian but they’re so pompous).
- I actually like trashy romance novels, especially the sci-fi/romance ones. I have no intention of ever reading Dostoyevsky.
- If no one was looking and I weren’t feeling like I was having a fat day, I could and would eat a whole jumbo bag of corn chips. In the same vein, I have eaten an entire family block size of chocolate to myself.
Oh man, it feels good to get all that off my chest!